“Hymn to Liberty”
Events for the Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Greek Revolution of 1821 in Corfu
To celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Greek Revolution of 1821, the Corfu Heritage Foundation programmes a series of cultural events related to the letters, music and the visual arts. These events are generally entitled “Hymn to Liberty” and will take place during the months of August and September 2021, under the auspices of the Region of Ionian Islands.
The overall coordination of the programme below is provided by Dr Megakles Rogakos (6932 445459, email@example.com).
1.- Lectures by Professor Nikos K. Kourkoumelis entitled “The Filiki Eteria in Corfu – The Persons and the Affinities”, Ms Helena Matheopoulos entitled “Music for 1821 – Works inspired by the Greek Revolution”, and Mr Constantine P. Carambelas-Sgourdas entitled “The Relationship of Great Composers with the Greek Revolution, but also the Concept of Liberty”, to be presented at the Corfu Reading Society, under the curatorship of its Director Mr Dimitris Zymaris (6938 228 045, firstname.lastname@example.org).
2.- Musical Events in three parts:
a) Concert on the subject of Nikolaos Mantzaros’ “Hymn to Liberty”, performed by the Mantzaros Philharmonic Society under the directorship of Socrates Anthis and in collaboration with the Corfu Choir under the directorship of Takis Metallinos, to be presented at the Lower Esplanade.
b) Concert of the Mantzaros Philharmonic Society with excerpts from operas of Corfiot and European composers, to be presented in the courtyard of the Church of St George in the Old Fortress under the supervision of Ms Helena Matheopoulos (6948 610 117, 210 7252 206, email@example.com).
- George Hatzinassios: The Chronicle of the Fall, Oratorio, “Fall of the Great City” and “Christians Mourn” (Choral).
- Gioacchino Rossini: Maometto II: Aria of Calbo, “Duce di tanti eroi”.
- Gioacchino Rossini: L’assedio di Corinto, “Giusto ciel”.
- Pavlos Carrer: Kyra Frosini, Aria of Ali Pasha, “April appeared” (baritone).
- Giuseppe Verdi: Il Corsaro, Aria of Medora (lyrical soprano), “Ne sulle tetre immagini”. Cabaletta of Gulnara (dramatic soprano), “Ne sulla terra verro… voi pure”. Aria of Pasha Seid (baritone), “Cento legiadre vergini” and “Salve Allah”. Aria of Corrado (tenor), “Tutto parea sorridere”.
- Pavlos Carrer: Markos Botsaris: Aria, “Gerodimos” (baritone), Aria “Lullaby” (mezzo), Aria of Germanos of Old Patras, Aria of Markos, and Aria of Mustafa.
- Hector Berlioz: La Révolution Grecque, Cantata for choir, baritone and bass.
c) “Gina Bachauer Festival – Meetings of Young Soloists and Ensembles”. Three concerts around the relationship of great composers with the Greek Revolution, but also the concept of Liberty, as well as the Greek spirit in general, will be promoted. The period of European and Greek music of the 19th century will be illuminated. The works will be performed by Soloists and Ensembles under the supervision of Mr Constantine P. Carambelas-Sgourdas (6945 846 467, firstname.lastname@example.org), President of the Gina Bachauer International Music Association, to be presented at the Corfu Reading Society.
3.- Visual Art Exhibitions in two parts under the curatorship of Dr Megakles Rogakos.
a) “Hymn to Liberty” – Historical exhibition to be presented at the Municipal Art Gallery of Corfu, 1-15 August 2021.
b) “Ex-Staseis: Attempts at the Representation of Liberty” – Contemporary art exhibition with works inspired by the concept of liberty to be presented at the Municipal Art Gallery of Corfu, 1-15 September 2021.