Events for the Celebration of the 200th Anniversary of the Greek Revolution of 1821 in Corfu
To celebrate the 200th anniversary of the Greek Revolution of 1821, the Corfu Heritage Foundation plans to organise a series of cultural events related to letters, music and the visual arts. These events are generally titled “Hymn to Liberty” and will take place during the months of August and September 2021, both under the auspices of the Ionian Islands and the Municipality of Corfu. The overall coordination of the program below is provided by Dr Megakles Rogakos (6932 445459, firstname.lastname@example.org).
I.- Conference at the Corfu Reading Society, curated by its Director Mr Dimitris Zymaris (6938 228 045, email@example.com), on the Greek Revolution and the concept of Liberty, covering historical, sociological, cultural and national aspects. In addition, letters and memoirs of the protagonists of the Revolution will be recited.
II.- Musical Events in Three Parts:
- Concert of the Mantzaros Philharmonic Society with excerpts from operas of Corfiot and European composers in the courtyard of the Church of St George in the Old Fortress under the supervision of Ms Helena Matheopoulos (6948 610 117, 210 7252 206, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Musical works written during the period of the revolution and later compositions inspired by events of the time. The works will be performed by the Mantzaros Philharmonic Society under the supervision of Mr Constantine P. Carambelas-Sgourdas (6945 846 467, email@example.com), President of the Gina Bachauer International Music Association, to be presented at the space above the Yachting Club in the Old Fortress.
- Concert on the work of Nikolaos Mantzaros’ “Hymn to Liberty”, performed jointly by the three Corfu Philharmonic Societies in the Lower Esplanade.
III.- Visual Art Exhibitions in two parts curated by Dr Megakles Rogakos.
- “Hymn to Liberty” – Historical exhibition at the Latin Chapel of the Old Fortress, 15-30 August 2021.
- “Ex-Staseis: Attempts at the Representation of Liberty” – Contemporary art exhibition with works inspired by the concept of freedom at the Municipal Art Gallery of Corfu, 1-15 September 2021.